Fountain Pen Cleaning
New to fountain pens? Need a refresher on how to clean and keep up with them? Keep reading! Have you been writing with your fountain pen for a while and notice it starts skipping with a full converter or cartridge? Well, you probably need to clean it. Follow these next steps and you will have a clean pen with no hassle!
1. Empty your converter (by twisting it counter-clockwise) into a sink while letting running (cold) water run over the nib.
2. Take a mug and fill it with cold water.
3. Take your pen (with a completely empty converter) and twist clockwise (as if you were filling it with ink, but this is water). You should notice that it looks like the ink you had in it, this is because while you did empty a lot of the ink there is still a decent amount in the pen.
4. Keep twisting counter-clockwise, then clockwise for about three to five times.
5. Now make sure the converter is empty of the inky water, and pour out the inky water in the mug.
6. Fill the mug again, but this time put a squirt of Windex (or something extremely similar) in while filling the mug with water.
7. Now repeat step 4 with the Windex water.
8. Now once again make sure you converter is empty and pour out the water that is in the mug.
9. For the last time fill the mug with water and repeat step 4 (with clean cold water in the mug).
10. Finally make sure your converter is empty and fold a few paper towels, then put them into your emptied mug and set the pen (with nib facing down) on the paper towels (this will soak up any remaining water out of the pen) and let it sit there for 15-30 minutes.
11. Now fill the pen with desired ink and start writing!